The elementary administrators, classroom teachers and reading specialists of Rockwood School District believe all children:
- Can and want to learn to read and write.
- Will engage daily in reading, writing and conversing about text in all content areas.
- Deserve precise instruction designed to guarantee growth.
- Achieve the most growth through a systematic approach to literacy learning. (Follow the Continuum of Literacy Learning)
- Will have access to quality literary and informational text at a variety of guided reading and interest levels.
- Will be actively engaged in literacy learning in whole-group, small-group and individual settings.
- Have an active role in the continually evolving learning process.
We believe all educators…
- Should have a love for reading and want to share that love with children.
- Want to learn and grow as teachers of reading and writing.
- Deserve ongoing, meaningful and differentiated professional learning opportunities that are job embedded and designed to support instruction.
- Use assessments to guide instruction for each learner.
- Understand reading builds writing and writing builds reading.
- Integrate word study, grammar, handwriting, speaking and listening to enhance and reinforce language and literacy learning.
- Identify and implement high quality interventions for all learners based on student data.
Collaborate to align and maintain the integrity of interventions.
- Teach, prompt and reinforce reading and writing strategies in all content areas.
Enduring Understandings for Reading
- Readers make meaning from text.
- Readers understand that authors use literary elements and techniques to convey meaning.
- Readers evaluate and analyze text structures to make meaning.
- Readers make meaning from appropriately leveled text.
Enduring Understandings for Writing
- Writers compose for a variety of audiences and purposes.
- Writers create and share their writing.
- Writers use a variety of sources to enhance their writing.
- Writers strengthen their craft through practice.
Enduring Understandings for Speaking and Listening
- Listeners make meaning from the spoken word.
- Speakers share information to a variety of audiences for specific purposes.
Enduring Understandings for Language
- Writers and speakers use appropriate English.
- Writers and speakers use language to convey meaning.
- Writers and speakers use language to enhance meaning.